Marc Babin is the Marketing Manager at The Westin Grand Cayman. He presented a 45-minute session at DigtalSummit Denver about his success with video blogging.
Why? He spent $8k on FB video Ads and got $500k in room revenue. It works.
Start weekly video blogging (vlogging) and never miss a week. Don’t make it polished. Never stop iterating.
Marc certainly has an incredible marketing asset working on a resort, but if you get creative, you can think of an exciting theme for your vlog. He started by highlighting different areas at the resort with a 5-minute video. Ask yourself, what would be fun and interesting for our prospects to see on a weekly basis?
- Ideas for boring industries
- Insurance: ridiculous claims that happened or how you helped someone in a tough situation
- CPA Firm: time-saving tips when doing taxes
Marc didn’t have any equipment other than an iPhone when he first started. He found that his audience preferred the authenticity of his videos. Here are a few options for equipment that will not break the bank.
- Phone stabilizer– not a must have but great for walking shots
- Tripod– this is a must-have for self-recording
- Phone tripod– Cost $13.98
- Microphone– not a must have, but it will give your audio that crisp sound
- GoPro or Canon DSLR – Marc told GoPro what he was doing, and they sent him two for free. We are not aware of his contact, but I would reach out to Roger Evoy, Director of Marketing at GoPro and tell him what you are doing. Maybe you will get the same deal.
- Lights– This is a must-have if recording inside
- Drone/ Video Shots– This might not be necessary if you work for a CPA firm, but hey I am sure you would get some stunning shots!
- Adobe Premiere– This is not easy to learn if you are new to video, but it is the gold standard, so there are tones of Youtube how-tos; Cost $20.99/mo.
- Here is a 20-minute tutorial that will get you started
- iMovie- Great for beginners but you will hit the ceiling quickly; Cost $0.00 for Mac only
- Camtasia– Cost $249.00 one time
- Audioblocks– You have to have good music. Audioblocks has a wide selection of royalty-free audio; Cost $149.00/yr. for unlimited downloads